Saturday, July 5, 2014

Joseon Gunman: Episode 3 & 4


Welcome to revenge territory.

Ah, it's starting. The story is finally picking up! Not that I don't like the pre-gunman years—I sure loved the character build-up and all that back story relating to Yoon Kang's decision to pick up the weapon that ultimately killed his father opposite the weapon which he was raised from... but yeah, I am a sucker for awesome revenge stories (re: A Man Called God) and... tadum! Badass Lee Jun Ki in a suit.  Sure I love my oppa in a hanbok, no doubt about that, most especially if he's displaying his lethal taekwondo skills while in it (hah, I actually clapped little claps of joy when I saw him do those spinning kicks while trying to sneak out of the city gates... see below) but it still can't compare to the hotness that he is when he's in a suit.


Episode 3 was good in its own right, ranging from cute to romantic and angsty to... I don't know, forgiving? Understanding? Whatever. But it was good that Yoon Kang's indifference with his father was explained well before fully going down revenge lane because otherwise, it will be hard to understand Yoon Kang's driving force to specifically want revenge since he hasn't been able to at least patch things up with his father.  Or something like that. On the other hand, episode 4 is now my most favorite episode so far as aside from being the ultimatum that turned Yoon Kang's world 360° from ever being normal, it's also the part that fully sets things in motion. And yeah, acting was great in this episode. Nam Sang Mi definitely does drama better than she does bubbly cute, and as we progress towards the meat of the show, I'm getting more and more convinced that it was Ji Woo's character (Time Between Dog and Wolf) and not her, so to speak, that made Nam Sang Mi look so-so in my eyes. Soo In is a pretty well-written character (so far) and Nam Sang Mi does a great job in portraying her. I love the way she shouted Yoon Kang's name (Oh, wait. That wasn't his name...) after seeing him get shot right before her eyes, and I love how the metaphor of the compass she had given him lived up to its role of guiding our hero's way as it was the very same thing that saved Yoon Kang's life.

Soo In: "This will help you find your way. Wherever you are, this compass will guide your way."




Speaking of Yoon Kang, I am soooo on board with Lee Jun Ki's acting in this drama. That cry he did after seeing his father dead was heart-wrenching as expected, and I'm loving how his eyes mirror a lot of the emotion he's feeling without having to resort to overacting a bit just to showcase the point. I've always, always loved him and his acting. He is noted for being more of a rookie who aims to get much better than the last time with each project he partakes in, and no matter how many times I've already seen this feat, the actuality of it is something I will never ever get tired of watching.  

PS. I know Choi Jae-sung (Mao Liwarat, Time Between Dog and Wolf) is supposed to make a cameo appearance for the drama, but I never really realized that he was actually playing Daddy Park until... this: 


I wonder why that took so long...

0 comments:

Post a Comment