Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Review: Shopping King Louis (2016)

A homeless amnesiac chaebol. A prudent country bumpkin. Throw them together in a world full of trends and consumerism, what we get is a drama with a hilarious yet heartwarming take on life, love, and the lessons that go in between.


A 16-episode South Korean Drama starring Seo In Guk for the titular role, Shopping King Louis is a light hearted romantic comedy about a rich heir fond of shopping who loses his memory and a country bumpkin who helps him regain his memory while teaching him about prudence and navigating life in the city... which eventually leads them into falling in love.

Image via MBC.

With Seo In Guk already in his 30s this year, I find Shopping King Louis as a drama intended to market himself towards a wider audience (i.e. the female and teenage groups) as a follow-up for his return from the military service should he push through with enlisting anytime soon, especially since he has filmed this right after Squad 38 which I assume was somehow targeted at males. This is a smart move on his end, even more so because Shopping King Louie had been a fun and entertaining drama during its run.

❀ RAVES  »•»


1) Comedy. Seo In Guk's comedic timing is impeccable as always, yet apart from him, the rest of the cast's take on a humorous portrayal wasn't anything short of decent either. Comedy was among the greatest strengths that Shopping King Louis has, and I love how the show has made me laugh and grin like a fool in almost every episode. Here's one hilarious scene, for example:



Here's another one:




2) Seo In Guk as Louis. I may sound bias by praising Seo In Guk a lot for his acting in various shows, but man, this guy sure deserves to be praised. No matter the role, he always makes sure to own a character to a T, and I love how he has owned Louis in this show from the voice to the expressions down to the body language. Seo In Guk played Louis as someone endearingly nuanced, and I can't thank him enough for always surprising me with something new whenever he takes on a project. Here's one scene that I loved:



And this:




3) Nam Ji-hyun. I have never seen or heard about Nam Ji-hyun prior to Shopping King Louis, and it was just so welcoming to see her act all sweet and charming in this drama. I love how she was able to play Go Bok Shil's multifaceted character compellingly well. She has this ability to make you laugh, cry, and fall in love with her in just a heart beat. It didn't help that she was so dang pretty too!


4) Heart. Aside from comedy, another strength of Shopping King Louis for me was its heartwarming take on life and love. It never attempted to have an overarching plot, but instead basked in it's simplicity, which was hands down beautiful. Most of the heart of the drama stems from Louis and Bok Shil's interactions. I love how the story revolved on these two navigating life in the city, and I will never get tired of how charming it was to see Louis and Bok Shil support each other during the entire show. How they always got each other's backs through the ups and downs of their crazy journey will always be one of the fondest memories I have for Shopping King Louis. I specifically love how Louis taught Bok Shil to relax and loosen up a bit, but I loved more how Bok Shil taught Louis to be a little more mature and responsible, such as being wise in spending money. I also love Louis' little realizations about the world around him, and though he's like a naive kid all throughout, his innocence and kindness never failed to get me and warm my heart.


5) Animation. Seeing those cute animations in various scenes not only upped the comedy for Shopping King Louis, but also added an artistic effect you never knew you needed in this show. Those animations were refreshing to see, and I love how it made the show look a little more creative and cheeky at the same time.

❀ RANTS  »•»


1) Bok Shil's Hair. I don't really have anything to rant much about Shopping King Louis, except that the abrupt change in Bok Shil's hair was sort of distracting to look at at first. I mean, up until Episode 4, Bok Shil had this cute curly hairstyle to match her country bumpkin look, but then in Episode 5 she suddenly began sporting a straight hairstyle when she didn't even go anywhere near a salon during the previous episode. Plus, nobody in the office even seemed to notice the change! What, did all the sweat from being sick miraculously changed her hair like that? Not that I don't like it, she was definitely prettier with that straight hair... But, even if it was something very very minor, it sure was distracting the first time I've seen it.

❀ RULING  »•»

Shopping King Louis was a great watch from start to finish. Yes it was cliche, but in an entertaining kind of way. It's such a funny and feel good drama I'd gladly pick up whenever, wherever; a ray of sunshine in a world (and the world of K-Dramaland) that is sometimes grey.


1 comment:

  1. Yes this drama is simple but not plain. I must say this is the most heartwarming kdrama i've watched. I just love the OTP (especially Seo In Guk). They're just pure and innocent.

    ReplyDelete