Wednesday, May 14, 2014

My Top Ten Hunks in Hanboks (and other men in traditional korean clothing)

I've ran out of dramas to watch.

Hahaha. Like that even matters. Never mind. So, in the height of having run out of dramas to watch, contemplating what to follow next and anticipating several titles coming out this June (plus the never ending boredom), I tried making up a list of those actors who make wearing traditional korean clothing so much of a classic... and, I came up with this!   

PS. I'm only listing people whose dramas I've watched, so if I'm forgetting someone a lot more handsome and awesome, spare me the flames please. =)

(っ◕‿◕)っ♥



10) Yoo Ah In (image via Pinterest)
Jang Ok-Jung was one drama that somehow messed with my knowledge about korean history. I know the plot was mostly tweaked to show a different side of Jang Hui-bin and make her protagonist, time and again I still got confused somehow. That aside, Jang Ok-jung was an absolutely beautiful drama and the hanboks used in it were stunning! Kim Tae-hee was really pretty wearing one, and Yoo Ah In was just as gorgeous. 

9) Lee Min Ho (image via Daum)
I'm seriously one of those very few people who gets dazed by Lee Min Ho, but that doesn't mean I don't see how handsome he can be... because he totally is for his portrayal as Choi Young in Faith. I'm not quite sure if his clothes there can be considered a hanbok, but at least it's a traditional clothing, right? Right. And at least he looked good in it, right? Right. He was actually looked both cool and badass, but the armor... I must say that looked off and sort of heavy for him. 

8) Yoo Seung Hoo (image via Pinterest)
Arang and the Magistrate continues to be one of my favorite dramas to date as aside from the crisply written plot, it had a fairly good bunch of eye candy which includes Yoo Seung Hoo. Yes, except for his hair (too girly for someone so powerful), and that goat (which wasn't anywhere near cute either). And though the all-white clothing suit him as Jadey, the hanbok noble mortals use (see E19) suits him better. Yet he's probably most badass in Warrior Baek Dong-soo.

7) Ji Hyun Woo (image via MSN Entertainment)
Yes, it's Kim Boong Do! Yet eventhough Kim Boong Do ranks well in the list of my most favorite leading man ever to be written in Kdramaland, he doesn't rank nearly as good in my list of hunks in hanboks. Don't get me wrong, Ji Hyun Woo in traditional korean clothing is handsome, but I think I like him better wearing present day clothes like... well, a shirt and a jeans. Or a hoodie. Or a suit. Or...  


6) Jung Il Woo (image via Pinterest)
The handsome robinhood in the Return of Iljimae. My ship in 49 days, and that ever so leading-man-like-not-leading man in The Moon That Embraces The Sun. Jung Il Woo is one pretty man be it traditional clothes or not, but traditionally speaking, I liked him best in Moon. TNoble man's clothes suit him well, and he looked even better wielding a sword. As Prince Yang-myung he was like asdfghkl~ Handsome, I tell you. So so handsome.




5) Ji Jin Hee (image via Naver Blog)
One of the most handsome and well suited man I've seen do sageuks, Ji Jin Hee really does look a lot better doing historical dramas than modern day dramas (or was that just me?). Yet while I loved to see him wear hanboks and government official clothes as Jung Ho in Jewel in the Palace, I loved seeing him wear a royalty's clothes way way better. He tops my list of korean actors in a sageuk with fake beards and mustache too.


4) Kim Soo Hyun (image via Naver Blog)
Do Min Joon in the Joseon Era of You From Another Star was eye candy in a hanbok (though I prefer him in YFAS wearing a suit) and was an absolutely cute grandpa grumpypants when drunk. But as Crown Prince/King Lee Hwon in The Moon That Embraces The Sun? He was stunning. He may look rather young in a gonryongpo and his small innocent-like face isn't helping him look more like a king either, but still gorgeously good.

3) Park Shi Hoo (image via New Modern Hanbok)
Despite being quite a pain to watch in Iljimae what with all those angst, he remained to be the prettiest among all characters. Even more handsome was him in The Princess Man with all those beautiful traditional clothing that he wore all throughout the show. He's also one of the very few men who look good with or without the gat on top too. No wonder Se Ryung fell in love with him even if it'd cost her a fortune of hurt and heartbreak.


2) Song Il Gook (image via Daum)
If I was doing a list of actors to ever do a sageuk, I'm pretty sure this guy would be on top. But that's not what I'm doing so boo. Nevertheless, Song Il Gook remains a good contender for hunks in hanboks as he pulls off being in one really well. I loved him in a gonryongpo as much as I loved him in other such clothes, but I love him best when he's wearing an armor. He really looks as powerful as he portrays with one, and it's gorgeous!


Image via Naver Blog.
             
1) Lee Jun Ki
I'm not bias! Na-ah. Jun Ki in action and sageuk is perfection, and he redefined the way I see government officials in a korean period drama. Be it noble man clothes or the magistrate clothes, he's just as pretty. And though I used to complain that I haven't even seen any post-army abs from him with Arang being his comeback project right after army, I think the eye candy was still worth the wait. No? Yes? 

0 comments:

Post a Comment