Saturday, July 12, 2014

Joseon Gunman: Episode 5 & 6

Here we go again...


I know it's supposed to be a normal reaction. After all, it's not like everyday that you get to see a dead man—especially a dead lover—right before your very eyes, but still... How Soo In outed Yoon Kang of his Hanjo disguise through that reaction of hers reminded me so much of Time Between Dog and Wolf and Ji Woo... and I hated Ji Woo for bringing Soo Hyun's life in danger by throwing a fit like that. 😡 I do hope Nam Sang Mi would no longer go that 'Ji Woo lane' at any other part of the show. I want her to live up to her character descriptions and be strong and brave. I want to love her just like that.

That aside, Gunman's episodes last week were super! Jun Ki is just so badass—I love that sword fight he had while trying to save Hye Won, and that gun-wielding chase scene while riding a horse was awesomeness beyond doubt. He's still as expressive as ever with his eyes, especially with the way he broke down at the last part of episode 6. I get that in order for him to be successful he has to shun everyone he loves, thus hurting not just them but also himself. It's complex, but Jun Ki delivered well.


The writers of the drama are really doing a great job too in keeping everything tight and keeping the suspense at bay. That cliffhanger in episode 6, for example, wasn't anywhere near what I have been expecting. I never expected Choi Won Shin to reveal himself this early in the show. But though he may have just shown himself and have not spilled the beans yet regarding him being the gunman, Yoon Kang isn't dense and I'm betting he'd be able to connect the dots real soon... which, in turn, will make up for even more exciting episodes! Banzai!


Btw, speaking of Choi Won Shin... His daughter Hye Won, played by Jeon Hye Bin, is also doing a fantastic job so far. Like, can this girl get anymore better? I've already liked her and her authoritative air since the previous episodes (remember that scene where she threatened Yoon Kang's good old friend Jung Hoon for snooping around their house?), and how she coolly owned her present situation despite of bandits trying to drag her away made me love her even more. She has this fierceness in her that makes you want to root for her, and in a way, I'm hoping that she wouldn't go bitchin' all out in the later episodes just to get Yoon Kang to love her because I'd hate her if she'd do that. I hate flat secondary characters like that. She'd be such a waste.
PS. I know Yeon Ha really is supposed to die as per her character descriptions, but please drama gods... can you spare her that death please? She'd be such a good driving force for Yoon Kang to further carry out his revenge mission and killing her might just... I don't know. Thwart his resolve and make him darker and colder a la Seung Yoo of The Princess Man? Heh. But yeah. Dramas, in a way, can still deviate from their initial write-ups, no? Like Yoon Kang who was initially written as an illegitimate child, but had never really been evident during the first quarter of the show (and I'm still asking myself that question until now: was he really an illegitimate child?)... so please, do the same for Yeon Ha... and let us see that sweet smile of hers once again.


0 comments:

Post a Comment