Friday, April 17, 2020

Review: Hyena (2020)


Yoon Hee Jae is a top lawyer at Song & Kim who works for the richest 1% of the society. While doing his laundry at a laundromat near his office, he meets the mysterious yet beautiful Kim Hee Sun, and they fall in love. With a smooth-sailing career and a sweet love life on top, what can possibly go wrong for Yoon Hee Jae? Well, everything... especially when the lover you thought you have ends up being your rival in court.

Image via SBS.

Hyena is a 2020 South Korean television series broadcast by SBS for a Friday and Saturday runtime at 22:00. It features two elite lawyers working for the richest 1% of the society—one who is likened to a hyena for doing all that it takes to win a case, and another one who is likened to a hound for using his skills to support the highest in the land. Sounds vague and uninteresting? I thought so too... but I was glad to be proven otherwise.

❀ RAVES  »•»


1) On-Fire Chemistry. Chemistry is 100% lit in this drama. Even with the minimal romantic interactions, Ju Ji Hoon and Kim Hye Soo's pairing are shoot-to-the-sky fantastic it'll keep you coming back for more. True enough, I think Ju Ji Hoon and Kim Hye Soo's team up (apart from Geum Ja being the badass that she was) was the real highlight and strength of the show. Hee Jae and Geum Ja were fantastic as a duo. There was never a dull moment with these two on screen, and their banters, as well as their romance and their growth, were among the many good things that made Hyena a worthwhile watch from start to finish. I really didn't expect the two to click as good as this even if I loved Kim Hye Soo a lot in Signal. The age gap was probably one factor but once you begin to watch, that gap isn't even that much noticeable. That's how great their chemistry was.




2) Unique Storyline. Basing on the synopsis alone, Hyena started off as something not that striking nor intriguing for me. I didn't know what to expect nor where the show would eventually be heading, so I got totally blown with how the first episode panned out. The succeeding episodes after that were all intelligently done too. The court room scenes weren't exactly a strong point, but I love the brilliant writing of this drama and the plot's heavy focus on the characters (especially the main leads), their motives, as well as their maturity (or lack thereof, for Hee Jae, sometimes). Kim Hye Soo and Ju Ji Hoon's banter were amusing to watch. Rather than a sour feeling after all those fight, the chemistry between these two was so strong their banters will instead leave you with butterflies in your stomach (except for the initial ones), and was among the many reasons that Hyena's unique plot worked oh so well. It's also a good thing that the side characters never really got brushed off along the process, and that throughout the course of the show, a lot of them has developed the same way the main leads had blossomed in the end.



Also...




3) Balanced Elements. Hyena had just the right dose of comedy, mystery, banters, drama, as well as cases to keep the viewers engaged throughout its run. I find some of the cases shown sort of not into my liking (probably because I was never really a fan of Geum Ja's "strategies" during the initial episodes), but how the mystery was built up and how comedy was inserted in between balances this out somehow. The banters as well as the romance-not-romance between Geum Ja and Hee Jae was a plus plus plus.




4) Powerful Women. Women in this drama sure slays, and dang, do they slay well. Geum Ja was really a breath of fresh air among the usual female leads we see in dramas as not only was she strong—she was also smart and resourceful. She was badass and can definitely stand in the battlefield on her own, yet at the same time, she was also very much human. She wasn't the strikingly beautiful type of female lead but was pretty nonetheless. And Kim Hye Soo... Kim Hye Soo portrayed Geum Ja to a T! I'm not even sure if I'd be enjoying the show as much as I did if Song Hye Kyo played Geum Ja instead. Nothing against her, I think she has chemistry with Ju Ji Hoon, but I'm not sure if she'd be able to handle a character as strong and badass as Geum Ja is. If it's Jun Ji Hyun, she probably can carry Geum Ja well... but then again, I'm not entirely sure either.



Here's another one:




Apart from Geum Ja, there's also Attorney Boo Hyeon-ah. Not only was she pretty, but she's also extremely talented. I was wary of her in the initial episodes because most of the time, the next female in the drama who has feelings for the main lead ends up either in ties with the antagonist or an antagonist herself. I'm so glad Hyeon-ah didn't fall in either of these categories. 




5) Ju Ji Hoon as a Living Meme. Ju Ji Hoon was amazing as Haewonmak in Along with the Gods, probably because I liked seeing him play a goofball as he did play serious. And although Yoon Hee Jae was a character that has his own doze of seriousness in him, he also had this goofy, child-like yet egotistic attitude which Ju Ji Hoon was able to play really really well. The facial expressions he have for whatever occasion there was were gold, and I just couldn't get enough of the kid in him and his antics.

❀ RANTS  »•»


1) Business Law. I love law. I love dramas that stimulate the brain such as those that take it out in the courtroom. However, although I loved Hyena straight from Episode 1, I never really liked how and why both Geum Ja and Hee Jae (mostly Geum Ja) had to resort to such "lowly" measures just so they could kiss all those VIPs' asses and represent them in court during the next few episodes of the show. I know I've read in the synopsis that the leads, as elite lawyers pitting against each other, have no morality whatsoever and are focused solely on earning money and winning a case; but seeing it compared to reading it was an entirely different thing to process. Only later did I understand that those scenarios were needed to learn more about the characters and understand their motivations, because even if those didn't really sit well with me as I watched, it made our hyena's team-up more solid and made their growth, as well as their success, all the more satisfying in the end. Yeah, I just didn't really liked the initial process.


2) Loose Threads. Up until the last episode, I still was not entirely sure of Song Pil-jung's reasons for sticking with her wife who was in a coma even though they're already divorced on paper, as what his sister-in-law narrated. Basing on Kim Min-joo's statements, I'm pretty sure Attorney Song intended to leave her wife that way. Whatever the reason was I think wasn't clearly explained. But I'm guessing it had to do something about Song Pil-jung's dirty tricks because it kept on being revealed that some of the things that he did/used were under his wife's name. Also, I felt that Song Pil-jung fell short in character during the last two episodes. I mean...



❀ RULING  »•»

One of the best dramas that aired this 2020, Hyena is a refreshing and engaging watch that deviated from the typical romcom and legal dramas out there. The satire was gold in this drama, the romance was sizzling and the show, overall amazing. 100% a superb watch.


0 comments:

Post a Comment