Sunday, April 26, 2020

First Impressions: The King: Eternal Monarch


Anyone who knows me knows that I'm not that much of a Lee Min Ho fan. It's not that he isn't good at acting. His looks isn't a problem either. I'm not exactly sure what it is or how me not liking him that much has started, but it probably has something to do with him being too hyped and too mainstream. I've always had this problem about anything that's too hyped, even in Filipino shows and actors. Most of the time I tend to pick the lesser competitors with better content first (I'm not saying the hyped ones doesn't have better content, but sometimes, yeah they don't 😂), and then binge-watch the popular ones once they're over. Unless they pique my interest in a whole new level, I don't think I'm going to follow them through as they air. 


But The King: Eternal Monarch, even if hyped, interestingly seem promising. So far I like the show's intriguing premise. I do hope it'd be able to live up with its premise though, because as far as the latest episodes are concerned, the show felt a tad too slow for me. There were times where the show dragged quite a bit, and the dialogues, as well as the conversations thrown our way, seem to be lacking something too. I'm not sure how to explain this exacy but I think some parts of the show felt a little bit long and messy, and sometimes sort of...  bland. I don't know. ðŸĪ· But I have to praise the show's cinematography though, especially since it really comes across as something fantastic and beautifully made.


Apart from the cinematography, I must mention Woo Do Hwan too! It was amazing how he has been playing it double effectively. I find him soooo adorable and quite more interesting. The cinematography and his presence were definitely among the stuff that I loved. ðŸĨ°


And while it was quite refreshing to see Kim Go Eun play as a cop too, I think I'm still not feeling her that much. It's like something is missing but I just can't pinpoint what. And nope, not buying her romance with Lee Min Ho either. I might change my mind later, but at this point, romance feels a little bit forced to me.


But yeah... I think I'll still continue to stick with the show somehow, especially because I want to get answers. So far I am very much intrigued by the idea of a parallel universe and how it plays as a central theme in the story. I'm also wondering what Jung Tae-ul's connection is to Kingdom, and how Lee Gon was able to get his hands at Tae-ul's ID 25 years ago. Was it really Tae-ul who saved him from his evil uncle? I somehow get a feeling that it's Jo Yeong, but then again, I'm not entirely sure. But should my guess be correct, how does the flute play a role in all of this? Does it have powers that are entirely different if its not broken? Will Gon be able to retrieve the other half of the flute from his uncle then? Also, does time flow a little bit slower in Republic as compared to Kingdom? Why is Lee Lim not aging? What is he scheming? How will the story move forward considering all of this?


That's quite a lot of questions to be answered. ðŸĪŠ I'll take it as a sign that the drama has really piqued my interest despite the hype and its tendency to be painfully slow. That being said, I hope The King: Eternal Monarch builds up on the tension and the conflict pretty soon, too. Because as I see it, I don't think romance is the best foot of this show... well at least not at this point.

0 comments:

Post a Comment