Sunday, February 2, 2020

Life on Mars: Episode 16 (Finale Rants)


I know I started this really really late, but seriously... what in the world is this? I'm not familiar with the source material so I don't know how it originally ended, but really, what is this???


Although I love that Life on Mars ended on a happy note and that Tae Joo finally reunited with his 1988 detective friends, I am still quite confused with the ending. Was everything only an alternate reality? Did Han Tae Joo really travel back in time? Was he in a coma? Or was he actually dead? I would like to think the latter: I'm pretty sure no one would be able to survive being ran over by a car after having been shot in the head... Which then makes Tae Joo's 1988 sort of a purgatory, and him going back to 2018 prior to jumping back to 1988 again the closure that he needed so that he could finally accept death and move on to the afterlife... Right?


That, or maybe... he really was in a coma but never got out of it at all, and that the 2018 timeline in the final episode was a dream within a dream, like him falling into a deeper coma? Because if he legit killed himself just so he could "go back" to 1988, the show would then be sending the wrong message regarding suicide and depression. 😕


Either way, Life on Mars was a great watch. I've never been this satisfied in a show that ended with more questions than answers. I enjoyed following it through as much as Tae Joo enjoyed being with his 1988 detective friends, and with the open-ended ending that the show has delivered, I do hope the producers would consider doing a second season for Tae Joo and his gang.

0 comments:

Post a Comment