Saturday, October 10, 2015

Review: Reply 1997 (2012)


Set in the 90’s, Reply 1997 is a nostalgic coming-of-age story of six high school friends in Busan and their long arduous journey to adulthood, rediscovery of familial importance, chasing dreams, and what it is like to fall in love. 

Image via Tving.

Reply 1997 is a feel-good drama that easily shot up to my list of all-time favorites because of its distinct narrative and heart. It is the kind that grows in you without you even knowing, like that of a friend you become familiar with over time and experiences. But what I like most about Reply 1997 is the simplicity that it has: a living proof that dramas don’t really need to complicate things to make a stand because in the end, it is how you connect to the audience that matters.  

❀ RAVES  »•» 


1) Substance, Style and Parallelism. Reply 1997 was very much a slice of life drama that tackled the realities of being young and in love—that insane, overwhelmingly heart-pounding era of bittersweet teenage angst and poignant teenage memories; carried in a fashion of so much substance and style. Reply 1997 was a standout in that aspect: a perfect drama layered with subtle nuances, depth and of course, heart. Its beautiful piece of storytelling and poignant juxtaposition between parallel moments is definitely something I love the most in this drama, like:



Or like:




2) Family. I love the strong emphasis Reply 1997 has put on the word family. Whether it was Yoon Jae and Tae Woong’s brotherly connection, Shi-Won and Dong-Il’s daddy-daughter tandem or Dong-Il and Il-hwa’s love-hate relationship, family is as important as all other aspect is in this show, and it is what definitely gets me the most. Family is the heart of Reply 1997 and I swear this drama is so damn good with that theme it kills me every. single. time. Like so:




3) Seo In Guk as Yoon Yoon Jae. I would be lying if I say I did not watch Reply 1997 because of Seo In Guk because frankly speaking, it was really the man who got me to finally pick up the show. Not that I’m complaining. Reply 1997 is the kind of drama I would gladly pick up anywhere, anytime, Seo In Guk bias aside. It’s just that his presence in the drama gave me all the more reason to go ahead and watch, and man, was I not disappointed. Yoon Yoon Jae was perfection, and so was Seo In Guk. His delivery of the character was so spot on he made Yoon Yoon Jae feel layered and nuanced and real. From a brilliant kid to a tortured soul to a young man in love, Seo In Guk was everything that Yoon Yoon Jae needed to be. Like everything. Like:




4) The Friendship. Another aspect that Reply 1997 nailed compellingly well was the friendship that each of the characters share with one another. I personally loved Shi Won and Yoo Jung’s side of the coin—the way they talked about bands, bought accessories or had their hair done, watching them was just like reliving the old times I had with my best friend and it was absolutely fun to watch. Speaking of hair…




5) Great roster of quotes. Anyone who knows me knows that I am a great sucker for quotes, metaphor, and absolutely brilliant writing. Reply 1997 is one show that is so, so plenty of that I actually needed a notebook to hoard. Heeee. Say for instance:
Yoon Jae: “The easiest thing we can do for the person we love is to throw ourselves away. The strength to do things that aren’t in our nature — that’s love.”
Or:
Tae Woong: “You have to be content with a dream that’s close. If you chase after one that’s far away, your heart will hurt and your insides will burn. A futile passion only leaves heartache. That’s why life’s stupidest thing is a one-sided love. But the reason that stupid one-sided love is worth trying is… that passion can sometimes make miracles happen… sometimes go the long way around to help you fulfill a dream… and even if it doesn’t allow you to realize that dream, it allows you to linger near it and find happiness.”
Man I can go all day with this.


6) Joon Hee’s Character Treatment. I love that even after coming out clean (to Shi Won, at least) Joon Hee never became less of a person to everyone else and was treated just the same. His sexuality was never a joke: he wasn’t treated differently nor was he left alone to suffer just because he was gay. His character was treated with weight and respect, without being stereotyped, therefore showing us that love is, after all, just love—whatever gender you may have. 



❀ RANTS  »•» 


1) Sung Shi Won's Character. No, this is not because of Jung Eun Ji. I may not like-like Jung Eun Ji but she was awesome as Shi Won. She was lively and animated and brought so much life to the character I sometimes forget that Shi Won isn’t real. Like, I get really annoyed at her most of the time for being too loud and brass and difficult to handle. Poor Yoon Jae. Those kicking and beating and pulling of hair were just too much, weren’t they?


2) Pop Culture References. Reply 1997 has a lot of meta references to K-Pop culture from the 1990's and, unfortunately, I did not get any of it since I did not live in Korea nor have I been introduced to anything Korean earlier than 2003. There were also a lot of cameos from past and present K-Pop stars that I did not recognize, like... I didn’t know who HOT and Sechskies were until this drama. Heck, I didn’t even know Eun Ji Won used to be a part of Sechskies. It wasn’t a big deal, really. It's just that I didn't really get to fully enjoy the drama’s tropes sometimes, being a lost kid and all.

❀ RULING  »•» 

Nevertheless, watching Reply 1997 was like reliving the days of one’s own youth—days when you were silly yet serious, anxious yet hopeful, brazen yet endearing… especially at taking a chance at love. It was nostalgia to the nth level—the kind that highlights the beauty of the little things in life, the kind that reminds you of memories tucked somewhere in the recesses of your heart. Things end: youth, first love, even this drama. But at the end of the day it doesn't really matter for memories are already there. Memories do last forever, and there's nothing else better in this world that doesn't cost a cent than memories itself.


0 comments:

Post a Comment