Thursday, September 10, 2015

Scholar Who Walks The Night: Episode 19

Meh. This episode wasn't anywhere near what I was expecting it to. I was pretty pumped up from last week and was somehow looking forward as to what happens next especially after tables have turned in favor of our vampire/black robe tandem, but this episode fell short off of those expectations. Nevertheless, it delivered.


My most favorite scene for this episode would be the death of Queen Hye Ryung. History repeats itself as Kim So Eun's character dies (then Myung Hee, now Hye Ryung), all for the sake of her lover to live. There was something in this scene that struck me as poignant, and it was this scene which finally convinced me that Kim So Eun was better off taking second lead. Yes, you nailed it girl!


I normally despise killing off main characters especially as a show nears its end, but this death served as an effective plot device to further emphasize on Gwi's character. His depressed-drunken state and inner conflicts were effectively showcased as soon as Hye Ryung died, and it was amusing to note how he came to react to the Prime Minister's lack of humanity (re: his daughter's death) when he isn't even human himself. His loneliness and denial was captured compellingly well in this episode, with Hye Ryung mirroring inner thoughts he just can't possibly form into words.
Hye Ryung: "Can't you just forget the human heart you weren't able to obtain? When I see Kim Sung Yeol, I am able to feel the same way you must have felt. Aren't you envious of the human heart you can't obtain?" 

And oh, that Romeo and Juliet vibe I got from her and Crown Prince Yoon at the end was beautiful. Stunning. Gold... I'm at a loss for words. Heh. I'm such a sucker.

One more episode left until we finally say goodbye to our vampire cast. Scholar-nim, fighting!


0 comments:

Post a Comment