Friday, April 8, 2011

Review: Iljimae (2008)

There's no place in this world I can't rob, because I am... (drum rolls)

"Iljimae"

Image via SBS.

A 20-episode historical action drama loosely based on a comic strip published between 1975 and 1977, Iljimae depicts the story of a black-swathed Robin Hood-esque man who robs from corrupt government officials to help the poor, leaving behind not a single trace of his identity save from a painting of a branch of red plum blossoms—an integral element of his former (tragic) life, and the reason for him being the hanbok batman.

Because you see... it wasn't really his best intention to help the poor. That just came along, a very convenient camouflage to his search for the person who had killed his father after being wrongfully accused of plotting treason.


Pretty good premise, right? Ha. I wonder where that pretty good premise went...

Iljimae was a lot of things to a lot of different people, and while I might be one of those people who successfully sat through it, it still doesn't erase the fact that the show was pretty much flawed especially as it neared its end.

Like seriously. That's it, Choi Ran?

I'm not saying Iljimae was literally that bad because it wasn't. It had a pretty engaging storyline and I actually enjoyed how the fight scenes were done (very well orchestrated). Plus, the pre-Iljimae years slayed me with the sadness and the cute. 


However, as the show went on the suceeding episodes onto the ending became somewhat of a big letdown. Like, you know... I think I have lost quite a number of hair from all those pulls I did while trying to make sense of what the hell just happened after episode 20. Really now, Iljimae? You're ending with that? I've been cheated! 😡 



I don't think it makes sense. Like, can't you be any clearer, show? But come to think of it, at some points Iljimae rarely did make sense. Invisible cloaks, armor knowledge out of the blue, hideous masks, hidden weapons... yada yada yada. I get that it's a fusion sageuk and that writer-nim could do whatever in it, but Iljimae could've been a lot better had it been wrapped well.

On a lighter note, it wasn't literally that bad because I still have been entertained. And no, it wasn't just because of Lee Jun Ki. Sure I like him, but the ensemble of cast's acting wasn't anything short of decent either. Save from Han Hyo Joo, among others, who was a really really beautiful wooden stick (or was that just me? I'm sure I loved her in Dong Yi). And Park Shi-hoo, who was just so wrongfully full of angst. Lee Moon Shik, on the other hand, is a gem that stole the screen just by having soooo much heart.


And as for Jun Ki, I am one of those very few people who liked him for being goofy. It was cute, yes, but not his strongest point in my opinion. I like my oppa badass, like... hoo-ha. 😅 Yet other than that, everything else was pretty, pretty good. I loved him best in all those emotionally driven scenes, especially those where he was so in dire need to cry, but suppressed his tears to hide his pain just like when his sister had died.

And woot for the Jun Ki eye candy. That alone is entertainment at its best.


0 comments:

Post a Comment