Sunday, August 9, 2015

Random Thoughts on Seo In Guk & I Remember You

Wow. Just. Wow.

Image via OhmyNews.

I never expected to fall for I Remember You this much. Although I love(d) Jang Nara, the plot initially felt quite heavy for my inkling. That, plus Seo In Guk was someone new to me. I didn't know what to expect, or if I really should be expecting anything. But alas, my curiosity won me over. And boy was I glad with the results. 😍

That being said, here's some random thoughts on the show and Seo In Guk. Just because I couldn't get enough of these two.


On Seo In Guk. One of the most valuable and unexpected gem I got to know from the drama: the handsome, manly and very talented Seo In Guk. Though High School King of Savvy (which he also stars in) piqued my interest in so many levels when it got released, I never really got the chance to actually have it tried since I was, well, busy. That being said, I Remember You was the official drama that introduced me to Seo In Guk; because if not for this show, I still would have put Savvy on hold until now. Watching these shows made me realize what I have missed all these years because yes, In Guk is really one hell of an actor. I am absolutely amazed by how great his acting skills are especially when he wasn't originally an actor but a singer who debuted from a reality search. Discovering In Guk is like opening my eyes to a set of other good dramas I've neglected for so long (hello, Reply 1997, I've heard so much about you) and I do plan to marathon EVERYTHING that involves him going forward especially if it cures withdrawal symptoms I'd experience once I Remember You ends. (Sorry, Junki-ssi. I think I finally found THE ONE — someone to love forever, and a lot dearer than you at that. I'm also pretty sure I'll be able to finish all of his dramas faster and sooner than yours. PS. I haven't even started Hero yet. But don't worry, I still love you.)


On the plot. Heavy and dark psychological dramas aren't really my cup of tea, so if I spend my precious time watching these instead of romcoms or crimes or immersing myself in a book, it sure has got to be pretty, pretty good. Otherwise I wouldn't give a damn. Haha. Say for instance: the last mystery/thriller/ drama I've watched was God's Gift over a year ago. That show was a blast. Well yes, except for the ending. And some other loopholes. I Remember You is going to be a pretty different story compared to that though. and I'm very very sure of it. It's intriguing, interesting and simply cleverly written I have confidence that it will. I haven't seen any plot holes from it yet, and I hope to not see any going forward (given the fact that we only have two more episodes to go with still a whole lot of mysteries to solve). Everything that this show throws on us seem to have been carefully planned from the get-go. Everyone is interconnected in one way or another, and no one can get away without being suspicious. The people you least expect something from turns out to be the actual people you should expect something from (hi, Eun Bok), and I love the shocks I get every single time. Writer-nim has been pretty witty in laying out a story like this right before our very eyes, and I believe she wouldn't thwart our confidence in her by writing an ending unacceptable both to us viewers and the plot as a whole.


On the romance. Oooohhh. This is one aspect that's pretty hard to handle in this kind of drama. I sometimes worry that the romance would soon fly out of the window given how serious and heavy the tone of the show is, but I'm glad to be proven wrong everytime a new episode comes up. The slow but sincere romance hidden beneath I Remember You didn't fail to get me, and I am very much addicted to both In Guk and Nara right now. Really. I even fear for my sanity sometimes. Haha! I feel like an idiot for laughing and squeeing like a hopeless fangirl when there isn't even much of a fan service between them. Hats off to writer-nim for making a romance like this work despite the very limited "romantic" interactions. I take it that she knows how to write her script a little too well, because yeah... how else will she be able to pull off a romance as cute as this if not for some witty and clever writing? Never in my life have I swooned over a simple peck in the forehead, nor an awkward good morning smile especially in terms of a drama. But with I Remember You... I've been moved beyond comprehension. And that's incredible writing I should say. Let's admit that no matter how great In Guk and Nara is in making the chemistry between them work, great actors can't do justice to great romance alone. There has to be a story to win the audience over — a backbone of some sort — which then lies within a writer's script. Struck me gold. 💘

I believe I still have a lot more to say, but it's way past bed time and it's Monday tomorrow. I have to sleep! That being said, let me collect my thoughts come Tuesday and I'll be back with a review after the show ends.

In the meantime... let me end this post with this.


Ang pogi! In Guk-kie fighting! ❤

0 comments:

Post a Comment