Sunday, December 23, 2012

Review: Time Between Dog and Wolf (2007)

After trying and trying, I finally got to watch the widely popular Time Between Dog and Wolf—that 2007 drama about a point in time when dusk becomes night as the sun slowly wanes between the mountain ridges. This is the time when day and night exist together. This is the time when objects become dim to sight, and from far away, the lingering approach of a silhouette can be seen. Friend or foe. Or someone who protects. Or just a dangerous wolf. This is the moment when both the righteous and errant paths all become crimson. This is the time when friend nor foe are indistinguishable, and it is in which the epic story about the defiance, surrender, love, and friendship of young agents takes place. (actual *confusing* promotional synopsis)

Image via MBC.

Lee Jun Ki plays Lee Soo Hyun in this drama, a man seeking revenge for the murder of his parents—a father who died in a mission just as he was born, and a mother, whose murder he witnessed as a child. Having been orphaned at such an early age, he has been adopted by Kang Joong Ho, a friend and colleague of his late father. Living well and happy with the Kangs, he later joins the NIS as a member of Overseas Team One. However, while on a mission to plant a listening device in a meeting held between criminal group Cheongbang and another group from Korea whom NIS is keeping an eye on, Soo Hyun's nightmares resurfaced from the recesses of his mind as he came face to face with the person who ruined his life. Burned with the overwhelming feeling of revenge, he got the mission screwed... and got himself withdrawn from the service.

But...

Soo Hyun isn't done with Cheongbang just yet.



Oh, the Jun Ki eye candy.

I swear, this oppa is born to do action. Not just because he looks good in one, but also because he is able to pull one really really well. Those spinning kicks? Ha. My asdfghjkl~!!!


Okay, so that wasn't much of a kick...

But seriously. I can watch him fight all day and not even get the least bored. Or I can watch him stand in a corner all day with those suit on and... Hmmm.


More than the eye candy though, Jun Ki's best foot in this drama is his portrayal of Soo Hyun/Kay. I love how he played that multiple-of-a-persona character, bringing to life the coolest images of him I have had in my mind since. What hasn't been brought up that effectively in Iljimae, he was able to nail here: from that tortured soul to the cocky shadow and the excellent blend of the two, Jun Ki was able to effectively pull all characters off. He was such a joy to watch, having been able to bring up such personalities with so much depth. I specifically loved that bad boy image he had portrayed for Kay—fearless, unreserved, bold... cold and calculating and just downright cocky. And cool. So. dang. cool.

RANTS:

Despite the Jun Ki eye candy and all the other raves and feels for this drama, I am one of those very few people who have 'enjoyed-enjoyed' it plot-wise or otherwise, probably because of either of these reasons:

1) That NIS Director/Chief  was such a asdfghjkl. The first time I got to watch Time Between Dog and Wolf, I dropped the show after four episodes because of this inhuman jerk (that, plus some other reasons). I despise his existence so much I want to strangle the hell out of him every time he shows up on screen. Heh. But if I did that, I guess there wouldn't be any show for us to watch (since he was the one to send Soo Hyun away as a narc). But seriously, he must be a pretty good actor to be able to annoy a viewer like that.

2) I don't like Nam Sang-mi. Or was it Seo Ji Woo? Regardless, I find her annoying. I haven't really felt much from her (probably because I was so annoyed) and I really thought she lacked chemistry with Jun Ki. Or maybe it was the other way around, with Soo Hyun being such a complicated character and all. Or maybe it was just me. I don't know. But what I do know is this: there is something about her in this drama that just doesn't work for me.

Either way, Time Between Dog and Wolf is still a good and recommendable watch... especially that it is a top notch Lee Jun Ki feast.

2 comments:

  1. Pano yan? Nam Sang-mi has just been confirmed as Lee Joon-gi's leading lady for Joseon Gunman. :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Guess I'll just have to stick through it with her then. Lol. Anyway, Time Between Dog and Wolf is the only drama I've seen Nam Sang Mi in, so... yeah. I think I should give her a break. =) And sageuk's a pretty different genre so let's see.

      Delete