Monday, December 22, 2008

Review: Babangon Ako't Dudurugin Kita (2008)

What does it take for you to realize that everything is all too much? Heartaches? Bruises? Life? And when realization finally hits you, what are you going to do?

Image via Pinoy Exchange.

A remake of the 1989 hit movie starring Sharon Cuneta which is based from Gilda Olvidado's best-selling novel of the same name, Babangon Ako't Dudurugin Kita (I Will Rise and Crush You; Sweet Revenge) was one of GMA's latest offering in the primetime department earlier this year. It stars the youngest of the network's stars for its leads, with Yasmien Kurdi playing Salve opposite JC de Vera who's playing Derek/Rod.

The story revolves around Salve's life, a typical barrio lass deprived of education and proper affection who falls in love with Alfred (Marvin Agustin), a man whom she thought was right for her. Unknown to Salve, what Alfred was really after wasn't her but an inheritance she doesn't know about. Determined to keep her riches a secret from her and rise to the top as a popular and powerful man, he left Salve for Via (Angelika dela Cruz), a politician's daughter who connived with him in making an attempt to Salve's life. Left devastated and heartbroken, Salve then meets Derek/Rod, who, with the help of Evita (Salve's real mother and Derek's surrogate parent played by Dina Bonnevie), promises to help her fight back and get even with the people who ruined her life.

Image via Pep PH.

A few common things that one is likely to notice about Philippine soaps include these: money, power, politics. In every show there is in Philippine TV, a rich-guy-poor-girl (or vice versa) set-up is almost always present. A power hungry evil villain is almost always there as well, just as politics is almost always a recurring theme. Babangon Ako't Dudurugin Kita is no exception from the norm, in that it is a heavy drama that deals with all three... and the lengths each characters could go through in order to get what they want most.

And so when I first heard about Babangon Ako't Dudurugin Kita, I wasn't thrilled. I'm pretty fed up of almost the same storylines in television, and acting-wise I don't like Yasmien Kurdi. While Dina Bonnevie and Angelika dela Cruz are far better actresses in their game, casting younger talents as leads made the show looked sort of meh. But I've never been happy to be wrong, because JC de Vera proved his worth as a lead, and at the same time, proved that Babangon Ako't Dudurugin Kita was actually worth the watch. Derek/Rod was somehow a challenging role to portray and JC was able to deliver it quite well. And yes, though I really didn't like Yasmien Kurdi, I absolutely fell in love with their pairing. 

And it wasn't just their pairing that I fell in love with, because I absolutely fell in love with JC as well.

I seldom love Filipino actors as much (or as easy) as this, and while I've seen many actors and actresses pull their A game in both movies and dramas, there isn't a specific actor that I decide to follow for the rest of my viewing life. And though JC de Vera fell in the 'to follow' category as easy as that, he is one talent I'd still be sure to keep an eye on.

So yeah. Thank you, drama, for delivering something that has been worth my while. And thank you, drama, for introducing me to a talent as awesome and handsome as JC.

0 comments:

Post a Comment